How TPS Decides and Communicates School Closings
EMERGENCY CLOSINGS: Emergency situation that affects all schools in the district - inclement weather
TPS uses the following to notify the public of school closings:
The public is notified by 6:00 a.m. any day that schools are closed.
How Decisions are Made
If inclement weather exists or is expected to occur during the early morning hours of the following day,TPS follows the following procedures:
- When inclement weather conditions already exist: Transportation field coordinators check road conditions between 8 and 9 p.m. and report their findings to the director of transportation by 9:25 p.m. The director notifies the emergency management coordinator by 9:30 p.m. and will make a recommendation to the superintendent so an announcement may be made to the public through the TPS website, TPS app, TPS social media and local news media no later than 10 p.m.
- If inclement weather conditions are expected: Field coordinators will check road conditions between 3 and 4 a.m.. Once hazardous road conditions are verified, field coordinators will report this information to the director of transportation by 4:15 a.m. The director will contact the emergency management coordinator by 4:45 a.m. The emergency management coordinator will make a recommendation to the superintendent, so an announcement may be made to the public through the TPS website, TPS app, TPS social media and local news media no later than 6:00 a.m.
- If inclement weather conditions occur while school is in session: The superintendent will NOT close school early. Doing so may endanger students who arrive at home before parents expect them. Parents may, at their discretion, pick up their child(ren) early from school.
(see Regulation 2117-R: Student Pickup During the School Day)
The decision to close schools may include any one of the following:
- Schools closed and the Education Service Center closed
- Schools closed and the Education Service Center open
- Schools closed and the Education Service Center open with delayed start
- Evening activities canceled
Education Service Center and other district offices
Unless weather conditions dictate otherwise, the Education Service Center will be open for business, possibly with delayed start, on days when schools are closed. All 12-month employees at other district facilities will report to their regularly assigned positions at the announced start time of the ESC or as directed by their supervisor.
Local media will typically NOT announce information about the Education Service Center. Check www.tulsaschools.org for the status of the Education Service Center.
All evening activities at any TPS site are canceled on days when schools are closed, even if conditions improve.
Evening activities may also be canceled on days when schools are open if hazardous conditions occur during the day or evening.
Check www.tulsaschools.org for cancellations and postponements.
TPS Board Regulation
See related board regulation: Regulation 7308-R: Emergency Closings
Other Weather Resources
Information regarding hazardous winter weather, including watches and warnings, is available on the National Weather Service/ Tulsa, on NOAA Weather All Hazards Radio and on local radio and television stations.
Sign up at www.ok.gov/OEM to receive Oklahoma Emergency Management's weather alerts and receive NWS watches/warnings to your cell phone or email address. See additional winter weather preparedness tips.