In Family Applications, our job is to ensure that every family who qualifies is eligible to receive free or reduced cost meals, which include breakfast and lunch. Qualifications are based on income and household size. Please complete a Family Meal Application for your students and return it to your students’ school. Everyone can apply! There is not a limit on how many free or reduced meals we serve.
Because this is a federally funded lunch program, every year we will randomly select three percent of all applications completed for verification of income. You will be notified by phone or U.S. mail to return verification documentation in self-addressed stamped envelopes to child nutrition services. Samples of acceptable documents will be enclosed with the verification notice.
8934 E. Latimer St.
Tulsa, Ok 74115
(usually in August each year)
Tulsa Public Schools families have the opportunity to apply for free or reduced lunches through our Online Family Meal Applications.
Some students are pre-approved through DHS. In addition, students may pick up a family lunch application from their school. On each lunch application are detailed instructions on how to apply for the Free and Reduced Meal Program. Family Lunch Applications can be returned to any school in Tulsa Public Schools.
Upon receipt, Child Nutrition Services Department:
- Checks application for completeness and then process it to determine eligibility.
- Student information and status are entered in computers at the Education Service Center and communicated to each school cafeteria on a daily basis.
- Parents will receive an approval letter that is sent home with each student.
- Child Nutrition Service staff at the Ross Service Center will obtain
information from families by phone when possible.
- Forms noting any missing information will be sent from the Ross Service Center to students’ homes by U.S. Mail when unable to contact households by telephone.
- The parents can then return the completed forms in self-addressed stamped envelopes provided by Child Nutrition Services.
1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Use the one Free and Reduced-Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.Return the completed application to your cafeteria manager.
2. Who can get free meals? All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP or FDPIR can get free meals, regardless of your income. Your children can also get free meals if your household's gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
STOP! If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION for free meals, do not complete the application, but DO let the school know if any children in your household are not listed on the Notice of Direct Certification letter you received.
3. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
4. Can homeless, runaway, migrant and Head Start children get free meals?Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, migrant or are enrolled in a federal Head Start program are eligible for free meals. If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and have not been told your children will get free meals, please call the Homeless Liaison or Migrant Coordinator at 918-746-6477.
5. Who can get reduced-price meals? Your children can get reduced-price meals if your household income is within the reduced-price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart shown below.
6. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals? No, but please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. Call Tulsa Public Schools Child Nutrition at 918-833-8690 or 918-833-8673 if you have questions.
7. My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one? Yes. Your child's application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
8. I get WIC. Can my children get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC MAY be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please send in an application.
9. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, and we may also ask you to send written proof.
10. If I do not qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free or reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
11. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling 918-833-8673 or writing to:
8934 E. Latimer St.
Tulsa, OK 74115
12. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.
13. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a prorated share of expenses), do not include them.
14. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you make $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
15. We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
16. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is his/her combat pay counted as income? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it was not received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.
17. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?To find out how to apply for SNAP benefits or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 405-521-2937.
If you have any other questions, or need help, call 918-833-8690, 918-833-8673 or 918-833-8670.
Listed below is the eligibility scale for free and reduced meals.
(as published in the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines)
|Annual||Monthly||Twice Per Month||Every Two Weeks||Weekly|
|For each additional family member, add:||5,408||451||226||208||104|
|Annual||Monthly||Twice Per Month||Every Two Weeks||Weekly|
|For each additional family member, add:||7,696||642||321||296||148|
If you have any questions, please contact Child Nutrition Family Applications at 918-833-8673.
Children approved for free and reduced cost meals that transfer within the district do not complete a new family application form, unless there has been a change of income.
When a student arrives at a new school, office staff will, as quickly as possible, notify the cafeteria manager of the child’s complete name and former school. The cafeteria manager may call the Child Nutrition Services Office for status information.
Under part 6 of the family lunch application, there is a section to apply for information concerning free or low cost health insurance for your student. Sooner Care applications are also located at each Tulsa Public School.
Having trouble viewing these documents? Download Adobe Reader.