Good afternoon, families!
Throughout the month of March, we will be highlighting our amazing community partner, Emergency Infant Services! Emergency Infant Services provides assistance at the Parent Resource Center on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 12-4pm. No appointment is needed – walk-ins are welcome! Emergency Infant Services offers help with basic needs like diapers, wipes, formula, food, clothing, and other essentials for children 5 years old and under whose families are facing financial and personal challenges.
The Parent Resource Center has several great events planned for March, and we’re excited to host you at our location at 525 E. 46th St. N. (in the Alcott building next to North Star Academy)! We hope to see you soon!
- Thursday, March 2 from 4-7:30pm: High school seniors and their families can get help completing their FAFSA at our FAFSA Application Support event! FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and completing one is the most important thing seniors can do to get free money for college or advanced job training. Even if you might not qualify for state or federal funding, completing your FAFSA is an application requirement for many colleges, universities, tech schools, and scholarships. Spanish interpretation will be provided at this event. Click here for more information about FAFSA.
- Monday, March 6 and 20 from 9-10 am: Family & Children Services will host two parent support group sessions around changing seasons in life. The sessions will welcome open dialogue from parents who want to ensure their child’s transitions in life are managed, supported, and embraced as they grow from one season in life to the next. We welcome parents to enjoy breakfast and discussion in a safe space to explore challenges and support each other. Learn to feel more of the parenting joys and less stress in these free classes.
- Thursday, March 16 from 5:30-7:30pm: Join us for Parent Resource Night with The Oklahoma Parent Center and learn skills to help in navigating through the special education process. You don’t have to go it alone! The Oklahoma Parent Center will be on-site to equip you with the tools you need to understand the complex system, work with service providers and schools, and advocate for your student or yourself. The goal is to give you the knowledge, skills, support, and tools you need to be the best advocate you can be!
- Thursday, March 23 from 6-7:30pm: Join us for a virtual and free Parent Academy Night on the topic of “Reading Facts - The ABCs of Reading.” We welcome parents of pre-K through 12th grade to hear from presenters about the importance of reading and reaching milestones. In this session, parents and guardians will also learn creative ways to make reading fun for students. Before a child learns to read, they must first learn critical pre-reading skills. Join us to learn some fun and engaging games you can play with your child to help build their confidence and reading skills. Please register online as soon as possible.
- Ongoing: FREE Tax Preparation at the Parent Resource Center! Individuals and families with an annual household income of $60,000 or less can file taxes FREE through Goodwill & VITA. VITA can also prepare tax returns for prior years and help families make sure they are collecting all of their Child Tax credits. Volunteers will also be available to help connect families to essential resources like free internet service, SNAP, and Medicare benefits. Tax services are provided at the Parent Resource Center by appointment only. Click here to schedule an appointment.
Additional services offered at the Parent Resource Center include:
- Computer lab access for parents and families
- Student Enrollment Assistance
- Emergency Infant Services
- Family & Children’s Services
- Financial Empowerment Center financial counseling services
- Oklahoma Parents Center
- Student enrollment support
Click here or call 918-746-9676 or 918-746-9665 to find out more about the Parent Resource Center and learn how to make an appointment to receive services.