On June 8, 2021, Tulsans will vote on the 2021 Bond for Tulsa Public Schools, a $414 million investment in Tulsa children, of which $9.6 million will support fine arts education and performance space upgrades at every school. The funding from the proposed bond will support our band programs by providing uniforms, instruments, and better spaces to practice and perform.
"There is no question that the data shows that students who are involved in music education score higher on standardized tests, and I believe that many people are unaware of how music education supports literacy," explained Webster band instructor Penny Davis. "Music is a language. When someone is reading music, they have to visually take in the symbols on the page, process the information, and then physically manifest it within space and time. Every note that a wind instrument player plays involves choices about their eyes, lips, teeth, tongue, lungs, hands and feet. That is a lot of info for your brain to process within a very short period of time. It is the practice of processing this information that literally grows grey matter and also helps musicians become not only better readers but better listeners and hearers as well."
Many of our student musicians just performed their final orchestra and band pieces. You can check out the culmination of their hard work and creativity using the links below:
- Booker T. Washington High School Band 2021
- Central Spring Concert 2021
- Disney, Kerr, Owen, and Cooper 6th Grade Band
- Edison Beginning Band - French Folk Song
- Edison Beginning Band - Morning Tide
- Edison Beginning Band - When the Saints
- Edison Jazz Band
- Edison Orchestras Spring 2021 Grand Finale - Live & Let Die
- Edison Percussion Ensemble - Fireflies
- Edison Percussion Ensemble - Married Life
- Edison Wind Ensemble - Solas Ane
- Edison Wind Ensemble - West Side Story
- Webster Warrior Bands Spring Concert 2021
- Memorial High School Band 2021
- Memorial High School Wind Ensemble 2021
- Will Rogers High School Band - Earthdawn
- Will Rogers High School Band - Epic Venture
- Will Rogers High School Band - Risk Everything for a Dream
Don't forget to vote on June 8! The deadline to request an absentee ballot is Tuesday, June 1. Early voting will take place June 3 and 4 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Tulsa County Election Board located at 555 N. Denver Ave. Check out the sample ballot here. The Tulsa Voter Van will provide free rides to the polls for Tulsa voters - contact them at 918-200-9153 or www.tulsavotervan.com.