join our team
If you have the capacity to demonstrate leadership and vision and are prepared to improve instructional quality and improve student achievement, then we need you!
There are several phases to successfully become a school leader: the application, a review of your application and credentials, the pre-screening process, a performance-based interview, community engagement, and receiving an offer letter.
When you join Team Tulsa as a school leader, you become part of an incredible team that's working hard every day to change the world for students. Our school leaders are transformational, passionate, caring educators who share a firm belief in ensuring success, equity, and opportunity for all of our students. We understand that our principals are key for student success. We support your growth and continuous learning so that you can focus on hiring and cultivating talent, building relationships, and fostering a positive and safe school culture of learning.
If you're interested in maximizing your transformational leadership potential, apply to join Team Tulsa today!
Please note that all offers of employment are conditional and contingent upon successful background screening and drug testing.
We believe that children can achieve ambitious goals and make positive contributions to our world.
We value continuous learning to help our leaders grow through ongoing development.
We are committed to equity and provide supports to match student needs.
We believe that our school leaders are the key to success and we're all-in to help them get there.
We strive for excellence and are willing to make difficult decisions for students when necessary.
We are innovative and support our leaders in solving problems for our students.
We are a team that values families, community members, and school collaboration.
We have fun and embrace joy to inspire a lifelong love of learning for our students.
school leadership selection Process
Tulsa Public Schools is committed to developing an inclusive working environment where staff are valued and fulfilled, and have opportunities to continuously learn and grow as professionals. We know that the school leader is integral to the success of our school communities which is why our rigorous selection process is designed to highlight candidate strengths to support a best fit placement.
Candidate Application Submission and initial screening
- All applications are submitted via our online platform.
SCHOOL LEADER pre-screening process
Applicants who meet experience and qualification requirements will be invited to complete Phase 1 of the process, which includes a written response, teaching video calibration, and a pre-screen virtual call.
school leader selection process interview day
Applicants who successfully complete Phase 1 will be invited to participate in Phase 2: the half day virtual interview process. The half-day school leader selection process interview day includes:
- Role play of a coaching conversation with a teacher
- Presentation of a continuous improvement plan using performance data (data is provided in advance of the interview day). Each 15 minute presentation should include intentional planning of engaging staff in the data and goal setting process.
- Small group discussion of a problem of practice where candidate teams will be expected to develop recommendations and next steps for consideration.
- Interview questions
Candidate admission into School leader candidate pool
Applicants who are successful in the School Leader Selection Process Interview Day will be admitted to the school leader candidate pool. Once in the pool, Instructional Leadership Directors will reach out to potential candidates for follow up questions and discussions regarding potential school matches. If a match is found, candidate will interview with the superintendent of schools and superintendent designee(s) for possible recommendation and subsequent board approval.
Professional learning spotlight: School leader Learning institute
Tulsa Public Schools' School Leader Learning Institute creates a community of ongoing learning for our Team Tulsa principals and assistant principals. Through monthly institute sessions, school leaders have the opportunity to engage in workshops and professional learning designed to:
- Deepen school leaders’ understanding of effective leadership practices aligned with the district strategic plan.
- Prepare school leaders to engage in and monitor Continuous Improvement processes in their schools.
- Assist leaders in understanding instructional needs of staff, as the instructional leader and developer of effective teaching practices in their schools..
- Facilitate reflection of school leaders’ development and maintenance of school culture for all stakeholders.