Special Education Boot Camp
The Oklahoma State Department of Education offers a certification program specifically for those interested in becoming special education teachers. You do not have to have an offer of employment as a special education teacher to participate.
Special Education Boot Camp Requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree with a grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- Commit to pursuing a master's degree or certification in special education.
Special Education Boot Camp Process:
1. Complete the application to attend Boot Camp. Application is approved by the Boot Camp provider.
2. Attend an approved Boot Camp.
3. Successfully complete Boot Camp requirements.
4. Obtain employment.
5. Apply for provisional certification.
6. Receive a completion certificate.
7. Acquire 6 credits of prescribed coursework per year.
8. Renew the provisional certificate.
9. Pass the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET), Special Education Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT) and Oklahoma Professional Teaching Exam (OPTE).
10. Receive standard certification as a special education teacher.
11. At the end of the third year, candidates must meet the criteria for a standard teaching certificate.