North Star Academy
North Star Academy
525 East 46th Street N
Tulsa, OK 74126
Principal: Dixie Speer
At a glance
At North Star Academy, our mission is to inspire and prepare every student to love learning, achieve ambitious goals, and make positive contributions to the world. North Star Academy provides an alternative approach to learning through project based learning or online learning. We do this with two different programs at North Star Academy.
North Star Beyond: Project Based Learning
During the 2018-2019 school year, the North Star Academy team embarked on the journey of redesigning an alternative school. Throughout the design planning, the team interviewed Tulsa Public Schools students from all over the district and gather information on what students believed was missing from school. From this research and discovery, students overwhelmingly said they needed the following things from school:
- Quality relationships with teachers and peers
- Smaller class sizes
- Real world, applicable learning
- Adult Skills
- A more efficient school day
Student voice launched the design of North Star Beyond in the 2019-2020 school year and we have continued to grow every year since.
North Star Academy Online
North Star Academy is proud to offer a flexible school experience. Students can learn where they want; when they want, even on weekends and holidays. One of our best features at North Star Academy is One Course at a Time that gives students the time and space to truly focus. When students do not have six or seven different subjects pulling their thoughts in different directions, they can really get to know the material and speed up their graduation pace. While the primary mode of instruction is online, our certified staff is dedicated to holding students accountable for being successful by providing one on one assistance/tutoring with coursework. We offer students the opportunity to accelerate graduation, recover credits, and/or enjoy a flexible school experience. Each student receives an Individual Student Success Plan so they can reach their graduation goals on time. We are committed to cultivating relationships with students by focusing on academic success, career exploration, and celebrations.
at North Star Academy onlinE, students can:
- Take one class at time so they can focus;
- Learn when they want and where they want, even on weekends and holidays;
- Accelerate graduation or catch up on credits easily;
- Meet face to face with experienced teachers who hold certifications in the curriculum delivered for whatever amount of time needed, whenever needed within normal business hours;
- Connect with schools staff onsite for extra content help or college and career planning