Learning Options for Quarter Two
Tulsa Public Schools elementary students will begin in-person classes in November. Elementary students return to in-person classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Wednesdays will be distance learning days for all students.
- Students in pre-kindergarten and kindergarten will return on Monday, Nov. 9;
- Students in grades 1 - 3 will return on Monday, Nov. 16; and
- Students in grades 4, 5, and 6 (at elementary schools only) will return on Monday, Nov. 30.
Students in middle, junior high, and high school will continue in distance learning through the end of the calendar year and return to in-person classes on Monday, Jan. 4.
If you want your child to stay in distance learning during quarter two, you must let us know by Oct. 31. Quarter two runs from Nov. 9 to Jan. 15.
These are some important things to know as you make your decision about whether to have your child return to in-person classes or stay in distance learning.
- All students and adults are expected to wear masks that cover their noses and mouths. We will provide masks to students who need them.
- Students will have opportunities for “mask breaks” throughout the day.
- Families will be asked to complete a health-screening at home prior to coming to school.
- Our ability to provide a consistent six feet of distancing between students in classrooms and on buses will be limited.
- Our uniform policy will continue to be relaxed for the 2020-2021 school year. Learn more.
- Students will continue to use their Chromebooks and the Canvas learning platform. Students will bring their Chromebooks and chargers to and from school each day.
- Students who continue in distance learning will have less one-on-one supports in Zoom from their teachers.
- Schools will make every effort for students to keep their current teacher(s).
- Students in distance learning will still be able to pick up breakfast and lunch meals free of charge.
- Students will continue to use their Chromebooks and the Canvas learning platform.
Students who attend middle school, junior high school, or high school will continue in distance learning through the end of the calendar year. These students will return to in-person learning on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays on Monday, Jan. 4, 2021.
During November and December, our secondary schools will provide some expanded in-person support for middle, junior high, and high school. These supports may include:
- Drop-in hours for students who need academic or social emotional support
- In-person, small group or one-on-one meetings with some groups of students
- Careful opening of supervised spaces for student use
Look for more information from your child’s school soon.
School will look and feel different as students return to in-person learning. While each school will have their own sets of building routines, you will see some consistent safety practices at all of our schools which can be found in the accordion below. Please note that we will be updating and adding to this information over the next few weeks.
- Before your child leaves for school
- When your child arrives at school
- During the school day
- In all schools and classrooms
- What happens if a student or staff member tests positive COVID-19, is exposed to COVID-19, or is exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms?
- How can I prepare my child to return to in-person learning?